[geeks] Global warming, was Mr Bill?

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Sep 18 20:28:29 CDT 2008

On Sep 18, 2008, at 19:58 , wa2egp at att.net wrote:

>> Consensus means nothing.
>>
>> --Patrick
>
> I wouldn't rate financial experts equal to scientists.  Two
> completely different worlds.  I also don't think there was a
> consensus of financial experts commenting on those companies now in
> trouble.

I'd be careful there.

A lot of scientists are just as bad as economists/finance guys on
stuff like this.

I've seen scientists thoughtlessly jump on one bandwagon after another
for years.

Doctors do it too, as you can see by the massive fraud and malpractice
in the pharmaceutical industry.

When I was growing up, the "consensus" among scientists was that I'd
see an ice age before I was 40.  One of my professors in college told
us about it, and how many of his colleagues got sucked into it without
really doing their own work.  He had himself done work that suggested
it could be happening, but avoided the popularity contest that
consensus had become back then.

It happens all the time.

A number of "scientists" area also taking money, which is also not at
all new.

Global warming, regardless of what caused it or if it exists, is big
business and big political power.

If "consensus" turns around and they think it's an ice age after all,
big money and political power will come out of that too, and will have
equal effect on people's behavior.