[geeks] English language [was: power (was Mr. Bill)]

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 13:41:32 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it *should* be this way.  English has always been one of the
> languages that most easily adapts to changes in culture and technology.  I
> think that it, perhaps, played a part in the computer revolution this way.

I'm not sure about that. Pascaline has been in the french language for
over 350 years and the term for machine automation and punch cards
have been in the french language for almost 300 years. Both
"ordonnateur" et "ordinateur" have been in the french language for
almost 150 years, although "ordonnateur" is no longer in use, but
"ordinateur" is the term that stuck (the equivalent to "computer"),
thanks to IBM France marketing.

Marketing rules the world...