[geeks] power (was Mr. Bill)

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Thu Sep 18 10:11:36 CDT 2008

Montgomery County has a 15-ft easement on the front of my property.  Hell...
they can dig up my yard if they want to bury the power cable to my house...
then I won't have to worry about trimming my trees to keep them from growing
into the drop from PEPCO.  I don't care...I hate the grass anyway and I'm
digging it up and converting the front yard into a vegetable garden.

Ido

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 02:02:54PM -0500, geeks-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:44:01 -0400
> From: Jonathan Katz <jon at jonworld.com>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] power (was Mr. Bill)
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>
> >> Why can't this vulnerability in our infrastructure be fixed?
> >
> > 1.  Horribly expensive to retrofit existing infrastructure.
> >
> > 2.  Whiny people who dont want to give up 12' of their land so that
> > there's
> > places to bury the cables.
>
> There is already a utility right-of-way on most property because of
> gas and water lines; the issue is the running of the line from the
> right-of-way to the house; someone's yard will need to be dug up. If
> done as a neighborhood-by-neighborhood campaign the value of
> uninterrupted power could easily be sold. The cost of the outages
> would offset the cost of installation, I'm thinking.
>
> -Jon

Ido Dubrawsky, CISSP
Network Security Architect
dubrawsky.org