[geeks] Bootable SATA for SPARC: has anyone tried a Mac card?

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Wed Sep 17 23:55:37 CDT 2008

When poking around online, it seems that the only card that people
know of that supports SATA for Solaris/SPARC is the LSI SAS3041X-R 4-
port SAS RAID card[0], which is still $150-200[1]. However, there are
some Open Firmware cards which are bootable on the PPC Macs like the
FirmTek SeriTek/2SE4 [2] - also expensive, at $200 - or the Sonnet
Technologies Tempo SATA card[3], an $80 2-port internal SATA 32 bit
PCI card.

My question is, has anyone tried such a card on SPARC? My particular
application doesn't even require Solaris drivers, just ones for
OpenBSD (preferred) or Linux. I want to add hot swap capability to my
Sun Blade 100 with something like this[4] or that[5] device which
takes up a 3.5" external bay (of which the Sun Blade 100 has 2) and
contains a hot swappable 2.5" SATA drive, or this[6] device which
takes up a single 5.25" bay (of which the SB100 has 1) and contains up
to 4 hot swappable 2.5" SATA drives.

Alternatively, if there is any reasonably-priced SCSI enclosure that
does the same thing, it would be just as good.

  - Micah

[0] <http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/lsisas3041xr/index.html

[1] <http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=SAS3041X-R>
[2] <http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-2se4/>