[geeks] Mr Bill?

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 15:43:28 CDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com> wrote:

> Mike Hebel wrote:
>
>> Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>>
>>  I don't necessarily disagree with the attitude, though.  I tend to
>>> believe that if you don't have proper insurance for your property, you might
>>> deserve to lose your possessions.
>>>
>> Yes and no.  No insurance might not be a choice.  Rebuilding in harms way
>> - definitely your choice.
>>
>> *hides in flame-proof bunker*
>>
>>  The insurance premiums reflect the risk.  If they don't, sooner or later
> the insurance company will fail.  If the insurance premiums are too high for
> an area, people will move.
> If you can't afford to lose something, and can't afford the insurance, you
> just can't afford the item, be it a car, house, or anything else.  Anyone
> who owns anything runs the risk of it being destroyed or losing it's value.
>  If you do not want to be liable for that risk, you pay someone else (an
> insurance company) to take it.  If the government replaces these things for
> people, then our government is an insurance company, and our taxes the
> premium.  Given that they have no formal obligation to pay claims, that
> seems like a bad idea to me.
>
> Let's not confuse this here, if roads, bridges, and government buildings
> are destroyed, those are government property and will need to be repaired or
> replaced by their owner, just like everything else.
>
>   -Dan Sikorski

The USA government issues documents (in the form of policies) to the
"homeowners"--just like an insurance company.  This constitutes a formal
agreement.  I had this type of policy on my house in Florida (several mile
inland).  It is a actual piece of paper.

I can recall, people saying to reporters something like this, "Oh, this has
happened before.  We just by the insurance and rebuild.  And, if it takes a
long time for rebuild, insurance covers the cost of the hotel rooms.".

Being USA taxpayers, you and I pay for all aspects of rebuilding--and the
insanity (AE's quote here) of these types of "homeowners".