[geeks] Mr Bill?

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Sep 17 14:58:21 CDT 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 15:16 , Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> The only problem with that attitude is that there are many places
> that are subject to all sorts of natural disasters.  A sizable
> percentage of the US population lives in an area where certain
> natural disasters can be expected.  So, if you subscribe to the idea
> that places subject to flooding due to hurricanes shouldn't be
> offered Federal disaster aid, then you should be prepared for places
> that are subject to wildfire, or earthquakes, or tsunamis, or
> landslides, or volcanoes, or river flooding to be subject to the
> same restriction.

Yes, everywhere in the US could potentially suffer, but it is obvious
that some places are going to be damaged far more often than the
average and cost a lot more to maintain.

It's a hard call, but some areas we really should just write off.

As time goes on, huge areas of land will disappear or change in ways
that make it unusable, and we need to learn to deal with that instead
of always trying to "fix" it.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com