[geeks] Tips of the icebergs.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Sep 17 14:02:49 CDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 02:49:32PM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:

>then i found out they'd already arranged traffic for the switch which
>would bring in $1M/month...
>
>[i finally came to see it as like a nuclear attack submarine, with the
>phone on your desk the tip of the periscope]

One job I had was the last step in the chain of getting a drug approved.
Each day I (or the people working for me) delayed things, it cost
them $1m in sales. Sales they could not recover at the other end because
the patent was going to run out long before demand for the drug.*

This was the most visible project I worked on, but in total, we did
9 of them.

Geoff.

* That was 1995, it's now 2008, the patent has expired and my kids still
  are prescribed it.