[geeks] Cables

Alois Hammer aloishammer at casearmour.net
Wed Sep 17 01:06:32 CDT 2008

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:59:14 -0600, "Dan Duncan" <danduncan at gmail.com>
said:

> Years ago I bought a few dozen pre-made cables.   The company offered
> them in various lengths
> and about a dozen colors.  I ended up making my order so that I tied a
> particular length to a specific
> color (12ft cables were green, for example) and down the road that
> made a HUGE difference in being
> able to identify which cables went where at a glance.  (without the
> need to get down on my hands and
> knees and read the labels)

Problem is, I have a huge collection of cables from 6ft to 25ft in all
sorts of colours, from various networking devices, accidental or
purposeful take-homes, and whatever.  Plus a bunch of black cables in
completely nonstandard lengths from when I was willing to invest the
time in making them.  So it'd be real pointless unless I were willing to
toss an awful lot of copper.