[geeks] New Cray?

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Tue Sep 16 15:04:45 CDT 2008

nate at portents.com writes:

>> Actually, i think Apple did more to dilute it in their advertising
>> campaign than the US Government did.

>Apple referenced the government definition with an asterisk and a footnote
>in both the print and TV ad, as I recall.

>I take it you'd have preferred people had retained their 'undiluted'
>supercomputer mental association with the blinky lights on the Thinking
>Machines CM-5 front panels in Jurassic Park instead?

The Thinking Machines box in Jurassic Park makes a fantastic
home computer. (It's sitting about three feet from me.)

(It currently has as much actual CM5 hardware in it as it did when
they shot that scene - ie: none. But it is a really nice rack...)

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
------------------ September 13, 1999: NEVER FORGET! ----------------------