[geeks] New Cray?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Tue Sep 16 13:36:28 CDT 2008

nate at portents.com wrote:
>> I think we diluted the term a long time ago.
>>

> By 'we' you mean the US government, when they sought to limit the export
> of "high-performance computers to upgrade existing weapons capabilities or
> develop new ones" and thus created the specification for what they deemed
> a 'supercomputer' which was then utilized by Apple in their PowerMac
> marketing campaign?

Actually, i think Apple did more to dilute it in their advertising
campaign than the US Government did.  Although I don't know the
specifics of it, I would suspect that the US Government definition was
simply outdated.  Even if it wasn't, I think that few people were aware
of that definition before Apple's advertisements.

    -Dan Sikorski