[geeks] New Cray?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue Sep 16 13:35:50 CDT 2008

Jonathan Katz wrote:
> Back to poke that supercomputer debate...
>
> I could deal with one of these...
> http://is.gd/2I8G

I see absolutely no indication of any "special sauce" like advanced IO,
low-latency interconnects, etc.

Just 16x Xeon quad cores and a motherboard that can take 64GB of RAM.

Bonus, however, is that it should run Solaris just fine.  Stick it on
top of an Ultra320 JBOD that has 2 SCSI channels, paired with dual U320
channels on a PCIe card or whatever, should be fun.

However, I remember 1.5 years ago being offered a 128GB, 5U system that
had 4x dual core Opterons on it.

Bottom line:  all marketing, no substance.  Like McDonald's "100% BEEF"
marketing - it may have come from a cow, but what part of the cow ... ?!

--Patrick