[geeks] Mr Bill?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Sep 16 08:35:31 CDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 07:08:22AM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:
> He's fine and just got his power back on recently.  I suspect he'll answer
> your post as he can.

Actually I've been without power since 3:40am Friday night/Saturday
morning.  Thanks to a very helpful friend who drove in from San Antonio I
have a generator, and a couple days worth of fuel remaining.  It's gonna be
expensive to pay him back once this is all over but I'll figure something
out.

We've got water pressure and a natural-gas-powered water heater, and I even
have internet when the generator is running (DSL is fine, and I opened up
my wireless network to share with neighbors).  I've pretty much been
sleeping on the couch because I have to babysit the generator.

I told my boss, "I'm going to have some pretty bad violations of dress code
at work today because I have no washer or dryer" and he laughed and said
"I'm sure they'll make accommodations".

Neighbor across the street got power back at midnight Sunday night/Monday
morning, and he's offered use of a couple electric outlets in his garage
if we need when we finally run out of gas.

I drove around yesterday and found a burger place that was open and only
had two cars in line (TWO!  ONLY TWO!  NOT TWENTY!) and had the best darned
$10 cheeseburger I've ever had in my life.  I tipped the girl at the drive
thru $5 and she looked like she was about to cry.  I told them "thank you
for being open."

So, other than sweating a lot, we're okay.  No major damage to the house.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas