[geeks] ...and now keyboards.

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Mon Sep 15 15:02:04 CDT 2008

> Since you mention, this setup (currently XP Pro SP3) is eventually going
> to need some sort of Linux-based PVR-type functionality (although I
> don't really have any interest in mucking with CableCARDs and the like
> to get recording working).

CableCARDs will most likely never work with Linux.

CableCARD adapters (internal PCI or external USB) for computers will only
work with computers with a special CableCARD BIOS, one that has a license
key in it, that is only given out to authorized vendors of CableCARD MCE
computers (like Dell, HP, etc.)  Without that special BIOS, the CableCARD
adapter will not work.

I will be selling two MythTV boxes soon - first is my HD box, configured
with dual ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuner cards, and capable of recording ClearQAM HD
off of cable (what you'd get depends on what your local provider offers).
I just need to wipe and reinstall the OS and it's ready to go.  The second
one is my SD box, with dual analog tuners with hardware MPEG-2
compression.  I still have a bunch of shows I need to watch/transfer off
of it before I can wipe it and sell it.  Both have Firewire and digital
audio outs and work fabulously.

The reason I'm selling it is that New England is part of RCN's latest
"digital crush" where they encrypt almost all their QAM channels and then
turn off all analog cable broadcasts Jan 1, necessitating either a cable
box or CableCARD (effectively just TiVo or Windows MCE with CableCARD).  I
do have the option of hooking a Firewire cable up to a rented cable box
and having MythTV change channels and record a single show at a time over
Firewire (a little known mandate from the FCC that was designed to give
consumers control and choice, something the cable companies hate and will
not on their own accord mention), but instead I ended up getting a TiVo
HD.

> I'd like to be able to stream rips, play
> DVDs directly off the host machine, listen to music, all that.  Is
> KnoppMyth the best way to get there?

I like Mythbuntu, it works well in my experience:

http://www.mythbuntu.org/

- Nate