[geeks] The best things in the world

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Sep 13 09:07:01 CDT 2008

>From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
>Date: 2008/09/13 Sat AM 03:38:37 EDT
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [geeks] The best things in the world

>On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:23:43 -0400 (EDT)
>nate at portents.com wrote:
>
>> "because students were more familiar with and excited about Linux."
>Well. Thats why I love Linux. Linux sucks. But it attracts all the
>idiots and zealots and keeps them away from *BSD. Somthing like a
>honeypot. So all the kiddies dump there shit into Linux, keeping *BSD
>nice and clean.
>
>Linux really went from a free *ix system to a bad Windows surrogate.

I don't understand the "Beat Windows" mantra, esp. the frequent "These are the 'n' things Linux needs to 'beat windows" - when did that become the goal? They are compromising their beliefs in an effort to out-microsoft Microsoft... Winners don't talk about the losers, losers talk about the winner (IMHO).

Do I like Linux, you bet, but not the rabid zelotry they seem to have adopted. Now we've got Ubuntu gunning for Apple OS X, an OS that embodies easily 90%+ of what they want in an OS, but those bastards are charging $$ for the software and I can't read the source code! Off with their heads!

Lionel