[geeks] The best things in the world

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Sep 13 08:51:14 CDT 2008

>From: nate at portents.com
>Date: 2008/09/12 Fri PM 04:44:23 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] The best things in the world

>> No, I was wondering if you could run it on a system without a graphics
>> card and keyboard attached.
>
>Without a monitor and keyboard, yes, without a graphics card, well, I
>think that's more an issue for PCs in general since most of them don't
>like booting without a graphics card.
>
>> I did know about Windows Server Core, and
>> it's a step in the right direction, but I believe (could be wrong
>> since I have only read about it and never used it myself) that you
>> still need a keyboard and monitor.
>
>AFAIK you don't need a keyboard and monitor, as long as you are ok using
>Terminal Server, MMC Snap-in from another machine, or Windows Remote
>Shell.

Post-install.

I'm not sure Windows Server 2008 can easily be installed on a headless machine, short of third-party software tools or advanced Admin Foo (I suspect a scripted network install on *actual* hardware is possible, but I suspect it is non-trivial).

The press is knocking Server 2008 Core installs because you have to set up networking manually once a new machine is built-up (i.e. no DHCP default option to make it accessible right after install) - of course, the press could be wrong, but that is what I've seen.

Lionel