[geeks] The best things in the world

Eric Railine erailine at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 15:50:59 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Micah R Ledbetter
<vlack-lists at vlack.com> wrote:

> No, I was wondering if you could run it on a system without a graphics card
> and keyboard attached. I did know about Windows Server Core, and it's a step
> in the right direction, but I believe (could be wrong since I have only read
> about it and never used it myself) that you still need a keyboard and
> monitor.

I'm not sure about whether or not a graphics card needs to be
*installed* but you definitely don't need one connected, nor a
keyboard or mouse.  For the initial installation, apart from the
previously mentioned DRAC/iLO/etc. methods of getting a remote
hardware console you could also

- Use RIS/WDS for automated installation (or some other system
automation of your choice)

- Perform a serial console installation via Emergency Management
Services (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889717).  This was one of
the new features for Windows Server 2003.

Once it's installed you can certainly run it completely headless as
others have pointed out.

-Eric