[geeks] The best things in the world

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Sep 12 13:36:33 CDT 2008

On Sep 12, 2008, at 00:52 , Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 04:29:37PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> I heard about 386BSD and Coherent before I heard about Linux.
>> Anecdotal
>> evidence is unreliable in either direction.
>
> It depended upon where you were. If you were in a CS department at
> a university, you heard about Linux. If you were out in the "real
> world",
> you heard about Xenix, x86 UNIX, Coherent and BSD.

Um... that seems pretty backwards from what I saw then.

In academia it was mostly BSD and Sun if you were talking UNIX.  We
used Coherent in my university too.

Linux was frowned upon in academia, the ACM, and a lot of other places
for years.  I tried to start a couple of Linux support groups in
college, and the brass didn't want to touch it.

I could get anything I wanted for Sun, BSD, or IBM stuff.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com