[geeks] The best things in the world

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 11 15:54:18 CDT 2008

>From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
>Date: 2008/09/11 Thu PM 04:25:52 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] The best things in the world

<snip>

>I find it hard to believe that we would have affordable choice if it
>weren't for linux.  I tend to think that it is because of linux that I
>realisticly have the choice of not using Windows (or linux) at home
>(OSX, BSD, and Solaris.  I do have some linux machines, but I don't
>think any of them have been turned on for more than two months).

I think I agree with that point, but to think that Linux "innovations" are the tail wagging the MS Server dog as the author contends is, well, absurd.

Linux exposed a deep current of technical home users that gave vendors the encouragement to make their more technical offerings to home users... If Linux weren't around, would Solaris be freely available for home use, and with such a well-supported x86 port - probably not.

Lionel