[geeks] connecting an IDE notebook drive to mini-IDC 44-pin

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Sep 10 15:03:53 CDT 2008

I have an embedded system with a 44-pin mini-IDE/IDC connector on the
motherboard.

The system came with a F/F cable for connecting a notebook hard drive,
and I want to add one to the system.

However, the notebook drive I got does not have enough room to connect
the 44-pin mini-IDC header.  It's about 1mm or so too small.  The pins
match perfectly, but I can't get the female header to seat to the drive.

Years ago when I bought notebook (2.5") IDE drives, the mini-IDC
cables fit.

I've been told by a local repair shop that most drives slide into an
IDE slot in the laptop, so they don't use cables any more, and a lot
of new drives are too small on the back for the cables.

Any idea how I can connect this drive?  I've already opened it so I
probably cannot take it back.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com