[geeks] Replacement MacBook question

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Sep 8 15:26:50 CDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 02:20:23PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> >Plus sometimes it just gets stupid, even when it isn't out of memory,
> >taking minutes to redraw the screen, or just doing nothing at all but
> >eaching CPU (visibly.  Obviously it is trying to something, but I have
> >no idea what).  Sometimes when it has trouble, it is presumably
> >thrashing, but other times it does this when the memory usage is
> >really
> >low.
>
> I've not see this at all.
>
> Could be related to which add-ons each of us uses.
>
> I did reduce a lot of my add-ons last year so maybe I just don't run
> enough to see this as much.

The only add-ons I have is NoScript, and it is meant to make things
better.  One thing it does is cut down on advertising Javascript, since
I never OK that.  I also have flash.

> >I am really looking forward to trying Chrome on Linux as soon as they
> >can possibly make it.
>
> I've tried it on Windows and it's a mixed bag.
>
> Very fast, but it crashes often.

Oh.  One thing that FF3 helped with a lot owas the crashing.  Now FF3
crashes are very rare.  However, the built in session management is a
lot better than FF2s, which has made crashs a minor annoyance than a
major cause of concern (tabmix+ wasn't perfectly reliable, and I no
longer use it since FF3).

> One of the bragging points was that each tab was a separate process,
> and no page crash could bring down the rest of your tabs.
>
> I find just the opposite: it's quite easy for a problem with one
> "process" to kill the entire Chrome browser.
>
> Maybe it's just early growing pains.

I hope so.

BTW, after mentioning webkit on Ubuntu 8.04, I found two easy ways to do
it.  The first was to install Midori (very basic.  It seems to be
compatible with a smattering of web in general web sites I tried, but it
turned out to have major display problems on some of my own work at
work).  KDE4 switchs Konqueror to WebKit, but after following a 8.04
upgrade guide, I seem to have KDE4 with an old Konqueror installed.

Midori doesn't work with my web system at work.  I'll have to look into
that at some point.  Konqueror also doesn't work correctly with it
either, but that was a known issue that we have yet to fix.