[geeks] Replacement MacBook question

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Sep 8 12:01:05 CDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 12:36:55PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> I can't go back to Firefox 2, because it leaks memory until it dies on
> my machine.
>
> F3 so far has never done that, which is worth a lot when you depend on
> the browser for local documentation and other things.

FF3 has proven to leak memory as well, just not as much.  I've seen it
taking 1.5 gigs, then when I killed it and reloaded with the same 30
tabs, it only took 300megs.

Plus sometimes it just gets stupid, even when it isn't out of memory,
taking minutes to redraw the screen, or just doing nothing at all but
eaching CPU (visibly.  Obviously it is trying to something, but I have
no idea what).  Sometimes when it has trouble, it is presumably
thrashing, but other times it does this when the memory usage is really
low.

I still think FF3 is an improvement over FF2.  It is much easier to
restart it with confidence for instance.  Still it is a pretty miserable
situation.

I am really looking forward to trying Chrome on Linux as soon as they
can possibly make it.  In the mean time, I'd love to have a reasonable
webkit browser on 64bit ubuntu 8.04.  At home, I find that having two
web browsers running on the Mac helps reduce the pain, even though
memory it tighter there (1 gig on the home mac versus 2 gigs at work).