[geeks] erm, no comment

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun Sep 7 10:41:32 CDT 2008

From: Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com>

> Lionel Peterson wrote:
> >> From: Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org>
> >>
> >> Don't you guys get teaser ads ? First part has nothing to do with the
> >> product (and gets people talking); second part (shown days/weeks later)
> >> puts the name of the product on the whole thing.
> >>

> They're too young to remember the Elephant Brand Floppy Disk ads - they
advertised for months (it seemed) before they ever mentioned they were selling
floppy disks. They just had ads tying their logo (an elephant head) with the
> phrase "Never Forget" on a yellow page on the back cover of the PC magazines.
> >
> Wouldn't the idea then be that we not know what the product is yet, so
> that there is more buzz?  Even if there wasn't a Windows logo at the
> end, we all would have known that it was for MS because Bill Gates was
> in it.  On top of that, everyone knew this commercial was coming before
> it was out.
>
> ...Then again, we're all talking about this commercial, and we never
> have talked about one of IBM's, and i don't recall discussing any of the
> Apple ads.  Gah!  Maybe they figured out that a $300M commercial that
> sucked would get people talking about windows and what sucks about it.
> I'm sure it cost much more than $300M to develop windows.

Definitely a teaser ad.  They hinted about something new coming from Microsoft.
Maybe it's Vista ME....Promised not to work out of the box!  :)

Bob