[geeks] Those new mini-notebooks

Nate nate at portents.com
Sat Sep 6 23:28:29 CDT 2008

SSD performance varies widely - for instance, the Acer Aspire One
with SSD could come with one of two different brands of SSD, and one
performs a lot better than another.  In linux, there's all sorts of
tuning you can do for SSD storage for better performance.

It's pretty clear that SSD storage is still pretty immature, and it
really doesn't offer a significant advantage for me considering the
massive tradeoff in storage size, which is why I got an Aspire One
with a 128GB hard drive.  SSD will improve a lot in the next few
years, but until then, eh.

- Nate