[geeks] Disturbing Sun articles

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Sep 4 12:11:32 CDT 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 10:55 , Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> [0] The Tyan motherboard I have won't run ESX.  The RAID card I have
> isn't
>    supported by Solaris.  Apart from VMware Server (and its
> atrocious I/O
>    performance), Xen (which I couldn't get to work quite right on
> RHEL 5)
>    and Microsoft HyperV, I can't virtualize on this huge box.  This is
>    all top-shelf hardware, but, together, can't do what I bought it
> to do
>    because the PC platform is such garbage.

Every problem you list above is pretty much a software issue, not the
PCs fault.

PCs do suck in a lot of ways, but it doesn't seem to be the root
problem above.

I would replace the RAID card since Solaris zones have been working
out great for me on my Solaris PC server.

VMware I/O sucks bad on just about everything.  It's a killer on my
Mac Pro running FreeBSD.

I've had very little luck with Xen myself.

Never tried Microsoft's stuff.

One other thing I've not yet tried is the Solaris virtualization
software.  Keep meaning to, but have not had time yet.