[geeks] Browser licensing?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 02:42:16 CDT 2008

Alois Hammer wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 22:02:37 -0400, "Joshua Boyd" <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
> said:
>> Wait, you are saying that JAVA and .NET mostly run single threaded
>> code? That is surprising.
>
> Mm-hmm.
> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/essential/concurrency/ lets
> us know that concurrency has been baked into Java since v5 (or 1.5,
> if you prefer, and I do).  I've never yet been to a shop where the
> developers aren't still running 1.4.2 or worse.  Go look at American

Actually, that page says (and I quote):

> The Java platform is designed from the ground up to support
> concurrent programming, with basic concurrency support in the Java
> programming language and the Java class libraries. Since version 5.0,
> the Java platform has also included high-level concurrency APIs. This
> lesson introduces the platform's basic concurrency support and
> summarizes some of the high-level APIs in the java.util.concurrent
> packages.

There has been concurrency in Java for much longer than there has been
java.util.concurrent.  That package does make a lot of common tasks
easier, though, by adding an abstraction layer.

I've been putting multithreaded Java code into production since way
before 1.5.  I maintain some pretty big multithreaded Java apps for a
living right now, and apart from some care when dealing with Swing, it
basically Just Works(tm).

Peace...  Sridhar