[geeks] Poaching an Egg

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Sep 3 15:56:27 CDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 01:45:01PM -0700, Nadine Miller wrote:
>My biggest problem in my experiments (and that'd cover the majority of
>what I cook) is what I'd term a lack of "depth" or "complexity" to the
>flavors.  I'm still working out what that means exactly and how to
>remedy it in a given recipe.

I can read a recipe and usually figure out how it will taste. When we
moved here, my wife, who is a "follow the recipe to the letter" kind of
cook sold off my copy of the Joy of Cooking.

She never saw me cook from it and did not realize that if I wanted to
make something from it, I would take it from the shelf, read the recipe
and put it back before I assembled the ingredients.

If you've seen Ratatouille, you know exactly what I mean. (I cook like
the rat, she cooks like his partner).

Geoff.