[geeks] Poaching an Egg

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Sep 2 17:04:10 CDT 2008

> I disagree with this.  In my opinion cooking is an art.  Using
> precise measurements and temperatures takes the fun out of combining
> random ingredients and seeing what happens.

If that's why you cook, then, sure, wing it.

> Does doing this add anything to the taste of the food?  Asking
> seriously as I will go out of my way to make food taste good.

In my experience, it depends on what you're doing.

Most cooking is relatively insensitive to exact amounts of ingredients
and can be fudged to taste.  But some - notably some of the more
finicky baking - is relatively sensitive to small variations.

Furthermore, there's "learn the rules before you try breaking them".
While that phrasing is slightly inappropriate, there is some truth in
it for this situation; I won't wing something I don't already have a
fair bit of experience at - unless I really don't much care how it
turns out, of course.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org