[geeks] Solaris 10 x86 - IDE to SCSI

Bryan Fullerton fehwalker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 15:02:11 CDT 2008

I have a bit of an odd situation at $WORK. We have a Solaris 10 x86
install running on a VMware Virtual Server install, setup with a
virtual IDE drive. I'd like to move this VM to our new VMware ESXi
box, which unfortunately can only provide SCSI (lsilogic or buslogic)
virtual controllers to VMs.

Is there any way to convert the existing Solaris 10 x86 install from
using IDE to SCSI? I can boot it in failsafe mode, and can modify
files on the disk as needed, but can't seem to find any way to get the
main boot environment to boot.

I can reinstall if needed, of course, just don't want to have to
reconfigure all the user apps and data (it's a dev box) if I can help
it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bryan