[geeks] education systems around the world

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sun Oct 26 05:06:22 CDT 2008

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 15:48:15 -0500 (CDT), Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > Governments always work with the threat of force.
>
> Which my underlying disagreement with them.

I'm also not a great fan of governments. But pragmatically I'll put up
with them until something better comes along.

> I believe it would be the truly rare example of a crap parent who, in
> this day and age, would not see the benefits of education.  At the

The obvious thing to point out is that the UN charter of rights wasn't
come up with "in this day and age" but in 1948 when things were very
different. And I'm not entirely sure that 'crap parents' are 'truly
rare'.

> > Using taxation probably isn't the best option to fund universal
> > education, but it beats no universal education.
>
> For those being educated, perhaps.  But what of those who are forced
> to pay?

It's a bit tenuous, but educated children become educated adults who
will earn more than the uneducated. As such they are better able to
fund those who have retired. I'm sure you'll counter that with those
who retire have (or should have) individual retirement funds, but I
believe their value is dependent on the size of the current size of the
economy rather than the size of the economy when the savings were made
(this is backed up to a limited extent by what is happening during our
current economic crisis).

> Also true, but there tend to be separate schools for that sort of
> thing, and, at least in this part of the world, teachers tend to
> sneer at kids who would rather learn build neat things than learn the
> sorts of things that are taught in a more academic setting.

I believe the UK is trying to change that ... slowly.

> > * What if you were teaching your children dangerous rubbish like
>
> Seems like that's okay in some cultures.  Other cultures teach their
> children that it's good to regard those who do well as being folks
> who've having cheated their way up and deserve to have their

Given situations like Enron, you'll have a hard job convincing me that
out of all the people who 'do well' there aren't a considerable
number who do it by cheating.

> Robbery doesn't tend to include imprisonment.  My recollection is that

Mostly because it's riskier. In a historical context, demanding ransom
for the return of people was a long standing amongst legitimate barons
and 'robber barons'.

Imprisonment could be labelled as state slavery, but that's not the
same as taxation. After all you'll get imprisoned for things other than
tax evasion.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 The man