[geeks] education systems around the world

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Oct 25 17:41:17 CDT 2008

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008, hike wrote:

> BTW, we're not on slashdot--no car illustrations needed.  A more
> appropriate car story is the person trying to enter the traffic lane
> from a parking lot.  Some well-intended driver stops to let the person
> enter the traffic lane.  Isn't this polite and nice?  Shouldn't we be
> polite and nice to each other?  (According to Jonathan's proposed
> philosophy, we should.) BUT, the light is green and all the cars behind
> the well-intended driver have to wait and some (but not all) miss the
> green light and have to stop at the red light.  What has become of the
> well-intend action?  It has a negative affect on some (if not all) of
> the drivers behind the well-intended driver.  What is everyone only
> considered what is "in front of her face"?

I don't recall, at any point, insisting that we shouldn't consider the
long-term results of our reactions.

Governments were instituted to protect the rights of individuals and
provide for the common defense.  Look what became of that well-intended
action; these days, governments dispense with the rights of individuals in
order to satisfy the imaginary rights of perceived collective.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi