[geeks] Liber-fascism

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sat Oct 25 16:25:15 CDT 2008

>> I pay my taxes happily and, guess what?  I'm willing to pay more if
>> my children live in a better world as a result.
> Why would you rather pay for services under the threat of force
> instead of voluntarily?

I didn't write the double-quoted text above, but it seems obvious to me
that the answer tothe single-quoted text is "nobody has found any other
way to support the kind of population density that's inevitable at
today's population without that".

There's a quote, which entirely from memory (I'm too lazy to look up
the details, because they don't matter to what I'm saying) goes
something like:

	Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the
	others that have been tried.  --Winston Churchill

Yes, governments suck.  But all the indications (including times when
people have tried to live without it in more than tiny numbers) are
that absence of government rapidly sucks even worse.  The farm you
cited as an example works only because there is a government, with its
threat of deadly force backing it, preventing the local brigands that
would otherwise overrun your farm from existing.

Indeed, the local brigands - and the banding-together of people to
defend against their ilk - are the first rudimentary governments.
Today's governments are just the same thing, grown to the scales
necessitated by the number of people invovled.

If you don't like governments, I suggest you leave.  Somalia might be a
good place; there isn't much of a government there.  Or perhaps
somewhere out on the high seas.  Just don't expect anyone to come to
your rescue when a bigger - or better-armed - band of people overrun
you; that's something governments do.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org