[geeks] education systems around the world

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sat Oct 25 15:38:43 CDT 2008

Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 13:11:12 -0500 (CDT), Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> Contingent force is still a threat of force.
>
> Governments always work with the threat of force.
>
>> Good ideas have a way of selling themselves without having to be
>> forced on people.  I assume you have a flush-toilet?  A
>> refrigerator?  A bed, perhaps?  Presumably, none of those items was
>> forced upon you.
>
> Education isn't quite the same as those items you mention. Yes, a
> considerable number of people will be quite keen on education, and make
> considerable sacrifices to try and get their children educated. There
> are also a number of people who do not see any great value in education
> and would be opposed to their children getting an education if it got
> in the way of them making their children go out and work.

Q:

What was the literacy rate, in the State of Massachusetts, before
compulsory education?  And in the state of Connecticut?  (two of the
earliest states in the USA)

Is it lower or higher at this point in time than in the days before say,
1835?

Answer this question correctly and you will understand JP's argument.

BTW, I said it before and say it again:

"Public education is a form of child abuse."

--Patrick