[geeks] education systems around the world

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Oct 25 14:13:47 CDT 2008

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008, hike wrote:

> but you stated philosophy leads to anarchy!
>
> wouldn't that make you an anarchist!
>
> (i used to hold this same view when i was in jr. high school.  i've grown
> some since then.)

So, you truly believe the only way that people can live in harmony is by
forming a government to impose a set of rules upon all, because people are
so broken and fallible?

What, then, would you propose that we elect to this government?  So far,
all governments have been composed of people, who are so broken and
fallible as to be judged unfit to be able to rule themselves.

Would you say, then, that governments would work by virtue of having the
collective population select only the best and most capable people to
positions of power?  Surely this is a great idea, as everyone holds
politicians' integrity and competence in the highest regard!

No, I would ask you to realize that your home is not burglarized daily
merely because there is a police station some miles away which you are
forced to pay for.  Your home is not burglarized daily because there just
aren't that many burglars in most parts of the world.

Take a look at yourself.  Would you steal from your neighbor?  Would you
attack him for no reason?  Would you set fire to someone's home because
you disagreed with him?  Would you enslave his children because you needed
some yard work done?

I very-much doubt you would do any one of those things.  I also doubt you
suspect most of the people with whom you associate would do any of those
things.

So, if you can rule yourself without inflicting harm on others, and your
associates can rule themselves without inflicting harm on others, maybe we
should save the force and the guns and the coercion and the violence for
those who prove that they're unable to rule themselves without inflicting
harm on others?

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi