[geeks] education systems around the world

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sat Oct 25 05:37:02 CDT 2008

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:37:48 -0500 (CDT), Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> I didn't realize the UN was quite -that- broken as to declare that
> everyone has a "right" to the fruits of the labor of others.  Either
> the teachers must work for free, or the people would be compelled to
> fund them.

The UN doesn't say anything on how education should be funded. If your
government chooses to implement it by enslaving 1 in 10 adults to
provide government services (including education) your argument is with
your government. Same if it chooses to tax.

> If theft is a recognized human right, I'll just help myself to
> whatever furniture is in the UN building the next time I need to
> flesh out a room in my house.

I'm not sure why you're blaming the UN for the cost of this right. The
US had compulsory elementary education _well_ before 1948. The state of
Mississippi was the last to make it compulsory in 1918. You can't blame
the UN for insisting you do something you're already doing! And who
knows ? It could have been the US insisting that the UN charter include
clause 26.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 A petty thief is put in jail. A great brigand becomes a ruler of a