[geeks] gold recovery from certain motherboards?

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 14:17:15 CDT 2008

> Well, the way it's done in third-world recycling operations is smash
> everything with a hammer, burn it all in an old oil drum, collect the
> molten metal from the bottom, and poison everyone in the vicinity with
> toxic fumes and heavy metals.  Can't say I recommend it.
>
> I'm really not sure it's the kind of thing you can practically and
> safely do at home without investing a lot more money than you'll make
> from doing it.

I've seen it done two ways. One was with a homemade smelter (above oil
drum) with an exhaust hood.

The other way was to use a sharp knife to physically cut the traces out
then in a smaller smelter setup heated it up and skimmed the top layer
off until just gold was left.

--
Rick Hamell
Tech Blog - http://www.1nova.com/blog