[geeks] gold recovery from certain motherboards?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Oct 16 13:20:06 CDT 2008

I have a few motherboards from old workstations that seem to have more
than the usual amount of gold on them; traces are gold, not just the
contacts.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to easily:

1) determine if the gold is worth recovering

2) remove the gold for purposes of selling it

I am told that some recyclers have a big smelter, and the circuit boards
are dumped in by the 50-gallon barrel load, then the gold is paid for
after the smelting operation is done. However I do not have that
quantity of boards.

Ideas, thoughts, experience all welcome.

--Patrick