[geeks] Article: Sun's not so cheap trick doesn't work

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 11 11:16:22 CDT 2008

<snip>

> I suspect that, if I'd actually used it yet, I'd recommend Ubuntu
> Server.  But I haven't.  (Time for a new VM!)

Ubuntu Server seems fine - I've played with it and there are no dramatic
"show stoppers" IMHO.

What strikes me is the near complete lack of Ubuntu Server-specific
documentation, they seem to rely on users either being familiar with Ubuntu
Desktop and translating their skills to the GUI-less server or simply being
"roll-up-your-sleeves and jump in" kind of users. Every so often on the
Ubuntu Server maillist a thread starts up about adding some form of GUI to
the server install, something between Webmin and a full GUI install.

The "flavor" of Ubuntu I like is JeOS [0], the "Just Enough OS" image, that
includes just enough functionality to run inside a VM. It is designed to be
an additive solution - you take the bare OS and add the bits you need,
ensuring a minimal attack surface and maximal performance from the server.

Lionel

[0] http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/jeos