[geeks] Article: Sun's not so cheap trick doesn't work

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Oct 10 12:51:35 CDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 01:32:41PM -0400, hike wrote:

> It has been apparent to me for years--since the "we're okay; micrcsoft's
> okay" alliance--that Sun Micro is on the way out.  While Jonathan Schwartz
> is a geek's geek (in some respect), geeks can't save Sun.  Added that Oracle
> has moved to Linux wholesome and Solaris is now a ported OS, it looks
> hopeless.
>
> Solaris is losing market share.
> Solaris x86 is looking more like Linux everyday.
> Sun is moving to x86 service (which run Windows, Linux, and Solaris x86).
>
> The performance of Sun Micro is less each quarter.
>
> I recommend RHEL for my employer and customers.

I'd recommend Ubuntu or Solaris before RHEL.

Sun certainly has moved to a lot of x86 hardware, but their x86 hardware
still looks really good and at good prices as well.  Their X4140s and
X4540s in particular stand out to me on paper, though if I were to buy a
new Sun server for myself it would probably be a T1000 that I'd attach
an external RAID to.