[geeks] compaq external array weirdness (4214)

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Oct 8 09:05:41 CDT 2008

Today I got around to plugging in the external SCSI array enclosure I
have, after giving up on my struggles with Solaris x64 on native SATA
(the stupid SATA bios doesn't support IDE emulation mode).

It is a Compaq 4214 and has 2 big power supplies, some kind of
environmental monitoring board, plus a SCSI port module.

The red warning lights come on and stay on, even with no drives
inserted.  The two green indicator lights on the SCSI port, are solid
green whether I connect the SCSI cable to it or not.

Is it just fried, or is something else going on?

Cordially

Patrick