[geeks] Interesting "minimal" PC - network appliance box?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 12:58:05 CDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 1:12 AM, Dan Duncan <danduncan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Sevan / Venture37 <venture37 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> meh, what wrong with an ss20 and a a1000 or d1000 hooked up to it. ;)
>
> Too much noise, heat, power, and getting that much disk on my
> SparcClassics wasn't really feasible.

I've come across an "affordable" line of JBOD arrays at Sans Digital -
they have 8 bay, hot-swap arrays that use port-multipliers and
includes a PCI-X 133 MHz SATA II controller for just under $400... I'm
very close to pulling the trigger on that purchase, as soon as I can
get 1 TB SATA drives for $100/each - adding that to a server should
afford me 4 TB of RAID 1 storage for just about $1,200 (plus server),
or about half my total gmail account storage allocation (gmail says:
"You are currently using 151 MB (2%) of your 7201 MB.").

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com