[geeks] Nice cheap network box - thanks to Microsoft (for the 30% discount!)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 12:49:45 CDT 2008

Sorry, "F-ing" webmail client only does pretty, HTML email - I knew
that, but forgot this time...

Anyway, here is what I meant to send:

Some of you may remember, back in July I mentioned a promotion that
Microsoft was having in connection with their "Live" search engine -
well, it's back.

I just this week got my money back from my Sun V65x server and 5x HD
trays purchases, a tidy $83 from Microsoft.

That got me poking around, and I just scorred a great deal (IMHO, of
course, opinions vary - which is why this list so so good ;^):

A shallow (14") Supermicro server with their new PDSMB-LN2 mainboard
with a quad core 2.4 GHz Xeon CPU, 4 Gigs RAM, 2x 250 Gig SATA HDs,
all stuffed in a Supermicro chassis w/o an optical drive for $688
(free shipping).

Microsoft is going to give me back $200 (the maximum amount), making
the server less than $500.

My plan is to put this as my outward-facing server, running VMs and
other software appliances with it's four cores and large 2x 4 Meg
cache it should be fun.

Here are some links:

Item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250285614323

Microsoft Offer - read the linked to offer FULLY, and be sure and
comply with all requirements - I did, it worked, it should work for
you as well: http://hot-deals.org/ Scroll down to Oct. 1st entries,
there is a full discussion about the Microsoft offer - again, read it
before you pull the trigger.

What I bought:

MB: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/946/PDSBM-LN2.cfm

Chassis: http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/1U/512/SC512L-260.cfm

The seller lists sliding rails as available for $33, but also states
the ears will support the 14 pounds this server weighs...

I'm sure a few here would find this offer interesting (4 2.4 GHz Xeon
Cores, 4 Gigs RAM, 2x 250 Gig HD for under $500?), and while you can
argue elements of the system, the overall package is very compelling,
IMHO. Personally, I'd prefer the Supermicro "server grade chipset"
PDSML-LN2+ main board (it can take 8 Gigs of RAM, 4x 2 Gig DIMMs), but
this was a good deal, IMHO.