[geeks] IRQL_NOT_OR_LESS_EQUAL

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Oct 1 20:24:25 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 04:34:28PM -0700, Jon Gilbert wrote:

>We get BSoD with "IRQL_NOT_OR_LESS_EQUAL", and as well, the Add New
>Hardware Wizard always pops up at boot-up wanting to add drivers for
>the device called "Unknown" which occupies IRQ's 8 and 2 (though 2 has
>a red cross through it and lists as not available). Windows cannot
>find drivers for "Unknown". It is a PNP device on the ISA bus. I think
>it is the System Timer based on what its HWID shows up as using
>devcon.exe: "ACPI\PNP0103\0 Device has a problem: 01."

99.99% of the IRQL BSOD's I've gotten and heard of other people getting
were easily resolved. The message would make more sense if it said:

  "You have bad memory. This memory will pass any test you give it, but
   fails under the load of a real system."

I've even run memtest on memory with the deepest possible test for a week,
and had it IRQL within minutes under Windows. The same memory ran for months
on linux before failures showed up. Once they did the computer would not boot,
so it really was bad.

Geoff.