[geeks] The Registry (?)

Jon Gilbert jjj at io.com
Wed Oct 1 18:59:19 CDT 2008

On Aug 31, 2008, at 9:19 AM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> It may not be super speedy, but there is no reason for such a
> machine to be dieing on 12MP images, except for either insufficient
> ram (regardless of speed) or crappy software that can't be fixed
> just by changing the hardware.
>
> I had no trouble other than a bit of sluggishness with 12MP images
> on my PC100 based P3, which had 384MB ram.  I would imagine the
> speed would have gone up a lot if any of the software would have
> bothered to use SSE or MMX.

It's not just that it's 12MP images. It's that it transforms them from
one ICC profile to another in a 16-bit (per pixel) color space. And,
it does this for hundreds of images in a row, whilst still allowing
the user to submit additional orders. On the current machines (which
are already rather slow), it becomes nearly unusable during this time,
and it takes far too long to get large orders ready. Plus, there are
now 14, 15, even 24MP cameras in the consumer range... and it's not
going to get any lower in the next five years. In my preliminary
tests, the beefed up processor, faster mobo, and extra RAM makes a
huge, immediately obvious improvement to the performance and user
experience.

-
Jon Gilbert
PGP fingerprint: 7FA9 B168 73CA A698 DD9E  2DF2 EE1A 3E73 3119 741F