[geeks] upgrading from Solaris 2008.05 - should I , and to what?

D.A. Muran-de Assereto dmuran at tuad.org
Wed Oct 1 17:12:59 CDT 2008

Well, I've been messing with the OpenSolaris releases, and the updates
have been either:
1) Really easy;
2) Incredibly painful;
3) or completely destructive.

A lot of the issues I have had have been with the ipkg system, The
first update from 2008.05 was the painful one; took three or four
tries, but ultimately worked. The second one was really easy and
painless. The third one destroyed the system, rendering it incapable
of booting. You might try doing an upgrade off of the latest ISO
(2008.11 rc-something-or-the-other) instead of doing the
across-the-net upgrade; that way, you may avoid the initial issues
with the ipkg image-update process.

Dave

Quoting "Micah R Ledbetter" <vlack-lists at vlack.com>:

> On Oct 1, 2008, at 2:45 PM, William Enestvedt wrote:
>
>> Ear there's another Update (6?) due out in October that'll boot off a
>> ZFS-formatted /. *shrug* That sounds pretty good to me.
>
> Actually, the current (5/08) release boots from ZFS:
> <http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/IPS/limits.html>
>
>  - Micah

Sapere Aude!