[geeks] International calling question

John Francini francini at mac.com
Wed Oct 1 15:18:34 CDT 2008

> My oldest son had a cell phone since he was 18 (he's 26) and when
> he moved out at 20, moved into apartments with a landline, but never
> used it. Now he and his wife have cell phones, but no landline at all.

Interesting; my wife and I both have cell phones, but we still have a
landline.  I've broached the subject of getting rid of the landline,
but that runs into the unanswerable brick wall: "The land line has
*never* failed to work for us".  And, modulo someone hitting a
telephone pole, it hasn't.  The reliability of the old-tech POTS
service is far higher than anything else.  Cable failure happens
regularly.  Cell towers can get overloaded.  But the landline keeps
humming for us, even when the power fails.