[geeks] International calling question

John Francini francini at mac.com
Wed Oct 1 13:24:10 CDT 2008

It often depends on the particular calling plan you have.  Most people
do have some sort of all-you-can-eat calling plan, but the older,
distance-sensitive plans still exist in many places, where people
simply either don't know or don't want to know about changing them.
Heck, a friend's mother still has a plan with *message units* on it,
and refuses to change it.

Indeed, intra-state long-distance calling used to be significantly
more expensive than inter-state calling, especially in the early days
after the Bell breakup, because the local phone company had a monopoly
on intrastate long-distance, while there was competition for
interstate LD.

As for required digits when calling within the US from a traditional
landline, it seems to vary from state to state.

In New Hampshire, I can call anywhere in the state by dialing 7
digits.  But NH still has only ONE area code, 603.

In Massachusetts, *everyone* must dial 1-areacode-xxx-yyyy, because
there are 9 different area codes in the state.  In western Mass,
there's one - 413.  In eastern Mass, there's 8 -- 4 landline area
codes (617, 508, 781, and 978), and 4 other-services codes (857, 774,
339, and 351) overlaid on top of them.

Area codes still give some info on where someone is located, to some
extent.

If you're curious about the way the North American Numbering Plan is
set up, go to the NANPA.com web site, at <http://www.nanpa.com/index.html
 >.

John Francini