[geeks] International calling question

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Oct 1 13:11:36 CDT 2008

> I often get asked questions about making international calls by
> people who have moved here and want to keep in touch with people in
> the "old country", etc.

> Besides making someone think you are in a particular place you are
> not, does it matter which area code you pick?

Depends.  Does it affect your outdial rates?  Do the people who'll be
calling you pay area-code-blind rates or not?  Does it spell something
neat when combined with the number? :)

> Do people think it is, even if it is not?

As someone who did a good deal of growing up back when long distance
was expensive enough to care about, I still have a lingering feeling in
that direction.  But in many respects I'm about a generation behind
most people my age.

I don't do any significant amount of LD from my house land line (a fax
every few months is about it); my cell has tolerable but not
particularly good LD rates.  Through work (who does VoI, for which I am
primary geek) I have a LD account which has reasonably good rates (a
cent or two a minute within US48+CA, assorted mostly-decent rates
outside that), and I've got DISA set up so I can call out at those
rates whenever I'm in local calling range of either of the two cities I
spend almost all of my time in.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org