[geeks] Global warming, was Mr Bill?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Oct 1 09:34:36 CDT 2008

" From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" One of the problems is that we can't even seem to run fairly "safe"
" reactors very well.
"
" A friend of mine in college had worked for a civilian nuclear plant
" and then went into naval nuclear propulsion.
"
" Things which barely get recorded in the log are considered an
" emergency in the Navy.
"
" It worries the hell out of me for us to start building a lot of new
" plants without first making the easy to manage and training a lot of
" people who are truly good to run them.

this is what i was thinking of when i said i wanted to see
chimpanzee-proof designs before we went into widespread
implementation.

i see great promise in nuclear power.  i see the power industry as
dangerously undertrained, undersupervised, and unconcerned - perhaps
ignorant - about the scale of danger.