[geeks] Is there still a free anti-virus package for WinXP?

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Sat May 31 16:26:40 CDT 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Sheldon T. Hall <shel at artell.net> wrote:

> James Fogg said ...
> [somebody said...]
> > > Isn't AVG 8.0 still free? I know they stopped updating 7.5
> > > today, but that was to make people upgrade to the new
> > >edition maybe?
> >
> > Yes, AVG is free, and I had to upgrade to V8.0, which is much
> > nicer. It
> > even has hooks into Outlook/Outlook express, FireFox, IE and probably
> > other things that I don't use. Its FireFox web filter is incredibly
> > good, it saved me from a few malicious sites.
>
> As it turns out, I misread the announcements from AVG; they seemed to
> indicate that the free version of 8.0 would have substantially fewer
> capabilities than 7.5, but now I see that this isn't the case.
>
> I've updated, and all is well.
>
> Thanks, everyone.
>
> -Shel

Previously, Grisoft offered FREE anit-virus software, anti-malware software,
and anti-rootkit software.

When the AVG nagware started on our WinXPPro computer, I checked.  AVG
version 8 still has a FREE download but there was NO FREE anti-malware or
anti-rootkit software.  To receive these two programs, one must subscribe to
AVG version 8 paid.  The FREE AVG version 8 is only anti-virus software.

While AVG can do what they want, I don't appreciate it and am also looking
for effective FREE software.

A friend recommended AVAST in the past.  He found it very good.  I will have
to check it out.  If I purchase a commercial program, I hear that Kaspersky
is the best rated all-in-one.  Articles in the press state that they offer
updates hourly.

I decided to go with the trail version of AVF version 8.  It runs and
updates for 30-day so I will run this until I make a decision.  At least
Grisoft did not me "high and dry".

This is the only laptop with WinXP.  The family member outranks me and
refuses to try Linux