[geeks] What is a Fundamentalist (was Re: Socialized medicine [was Re: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro] )

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 11:54:06 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar at liftport.com>
wrote:

> Mike Meredith wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 May 2008 23:11:22 -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> >> Same argument: fundies are a small minority
> >
> > I've seen estimates that vary between 25% and 33% of the US population
> > are fundamentalist christian. Whilst I can believe they are inflated,
>
> I think that figure is too high as well.
>
> > it does seem that they're a significant force in US society and have
> > some impact on Bush's policies (he seems willing to go to some lengths
> > to placate the Christian right).
>
> Ah - perhaps we have a definitions problem: what is a fundie?
>
> Say 'fundie' and I think you're talking about snake handlers, itty-bitty
> Baptist churches along the back roads in Texas (First Baptist Church of
> the Holy Fire Water and Salvation, Reformed) and so on.
>
> Say 'Christian Right' and I get the image of my neighbor - a pretty nice
> Lutheran who votes Republican and believes that abortion is a sin.
>

> --
> Brian Dunbar
>

> brian.dunbar at liftport.com
> aim: bdunbar1967
>
> GMT -6
> this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private
>
> Meaningful Work or Death.
> Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.
>
> Hugh Macleod

As an evangical, I would not use the term, "fundamentalist" of snake
handlers nor within the greater Christian community would the term,
"fundamentalist" be used of snake handlers.

The term "fundamantalist" comes from the early 1900's (IIRC) and is derived
from the title of a book name "The Fundamentals".  It was authored by a
group (IIRC) of Christian leaders who wanted to state the things that all
Christians should believe.  The book addressed the Christian community
mistakenly called "protestant".  The book, "The Fundamantals" was written
during the spread of liberalism within the USA Christian community.  The
authors/contributors/editors of the book, "The Fundamentals", were all
"mainstream" Christians (Reformed, Anglican, Separatist, etc.--all of the
Protestant tradition of Christianity).

The press/media/public misuses the term in the same fashion as the term,
"hacker", is misused and misdefined.  While I don't like the ignorance and
chauvinsm in the misuse of the term, "fundamentalist", I don't get excited
about its misuse in the common language.  One of the greatest misuses is
with reference to non-Christian faiths/religions/belief systems/etc.  The
can be no technical use of the term when addressing Muslim, Hindu, nature,
groups.

That I know of, the term "fundamentalist" has been used of very "mainstream"
groups: Lutheran, Congregations, Anglican, Episcopal, Baptist, Methodist,
COGIC, Wesleyan (sp?), Nazarene, Christian Church, Disciples of Christ,
Church of Christ, Presbyterians, etc.

Personally, I have heard some "avant-garde" theologians describe themselves
in fundatmentalist terms without using the term, "fundamentalist".  From
this the term, "fundamentalist", describes almost the broadest description
of the "vareity" of Christian churches.  That is, only the traditionally
"liberal" position could not be included in the term "fundamentalist"  This,
of course means the term has no actual meaning in the common language and
you will find the media (in all forms) using it as a designator for
something "bad".

By the way, the "Christian right" is a term used in the political arena that
means the same as "fundamentalist".  Poor press people, their vocabulary is
as limited as their own education in the USA government schools.

Quite a shame but one also notifies that learning the "fundamentals" of
almost anything is not being taught in the USA government schools--such as,
math (post-algebra), sciences, languages (Latin & Greek, etc.), etc.

There is a lot more that can be said but lunchtime is almost over the guards
are calling us in.